Monday 4 June 2012

Back in Delhi

This morning we left Rishikesh @4am (no we're not crazy, we wanted to avoid traffic and were advised that would be the best time).  For this journey we took a tourist taxi (6.5 hour trip for approx $60 CAD).  Air conditioned, leather seats, working shocks, you have no idea the luxury!  We stopped for breakfast at a roadside restaurant/rest area.  Our choices were an Indian breakfast of what looked like dahl and parantha, or potato chips.  Much as I love Indian food, I wasn't feeling it at 730am so I opted for a bag of Lays "American Cream and Onion" flavour.  I've had my eye on those chips since I got here because they were always my favourite as a kid and sometimes you just long for something that reminds you of home.  Usually I avoid them due to unnecessary amounts of hard to pronounce ingredients, but after reading the ingredient list this morning I was surprised to learn that everything listed was actually food.  Yay for me!  However, after eating chips and a super sweet cup of chai for breakfast I have to admit, I had a stomach ache.

Today we checked in to a really nice hotel by the airport, the Uppal Ecotel, and Will and I both had a bath for the first time in over a month.  So good!   Also had a really nice lunch in the hotel.  Salad for me given my choice at breakfast, and also considering how infrequently I eat fresh veg here.  Tourists are not advised to eat salad/ fresh fruit and veg unless you can peel it or it comes from a reputable establishment.   It's funny how much I am missing a good green salad or some steamed kale.  I actually can't wait to get home to some fresh Ontario produce....

 Tonight we're visiting a friend of mine from University who lives and works in Delhi (I'm very excited!)  and tomorrow we fly to Kolkata.

More adventures to come!

xo Ruby 

No comments:

Post a Comment